Macrobiotic breakfast: scrambled tofu
- A good dish for boosting your energy without upsetting your blood sugar balance.
- Scrambled tofu cooks in 12 minutes.
INGREDIENTS FOR SCRAMBLED TOFU
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely grated
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated
- 100 g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 500 g organic tofu
- 1 1/2 tbsp shoyu (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 small spring onions, finely chopped.
HOW TO PREPARE SCRAMBLED TOFU
Heat the oil in a medium-sized, heavy-based frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the onion and carrot and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 2 minutes.
Crumble the tofu and add to the frying pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until all the flavours mix in. Season with shoyu and turmeric, and cook for another minute.
Turn off the heat and place the mixture in a serving dish sprinkled with the chopped spring onion. Serve with steamed sourdough bread spread with a thin layer of the mustard. Eat immediately.
Want to try another recipe for scrambled tofu? Try this.
Source: “Modern-day macrobiotics” by Simon G. Brown & Dragana G. Brown – Carroll & Brown Publishers Limited